FAQs about NTT Laboratories
- What kind of company is NTT?
- NTT (Nippon Telegraph and Telephone Corporation) is a holding company responsible for the corporate strategy of the entire NTT Group. NTT Laboratories is closely affiliated with NTT. NTT Labs creates the cutting-edge technologies and services that are the driving force behind the NTT Group, serves as a unifying force behind the NTT Group as a whole, and creates and develops new technologies capable of transforming Japan and the wider world.
- What is the mission statement of NTT Laboratories?
- Covering everything from basic research to the development of applied technologies, the mission of NTT Laboratories is to create new technologies and networks that serve as the driving force behind the NTT Group. NTT Labs conducts wide-ranging research and development that provides the basic source of growth for NTT Group. These efforts include not only basic scientific research but also applications such as services leveraging new technologies that make the world a richer place.
- How is NTT Laboratories organized?
- NTT Laboratories consists of 14 laboratories grouped into four laboratory groups. We believe that an R&D structure encouraging close collaboration among different laboratories to achieve common R&D objectives is the optimum organizational structure for creating and evolving new technologies.
- Where is NTT located?
- In addition to NTT Corporate Headquarters in Otemachi (Tokyo), NTT has researchers deployed at R&D Centers in Musashino (Tokyo), Yokosuka (Kanagawa), Atsugi (Kanagawa), Tsukuba (Ibaraki), the Keihanna area (Kyoto), Shinagawa (Tokyo), and Tamachi (Tokyo)
FAQs about Recruitment
- Does NTT Laboratories only hire people for R&D positions?
- Yes, we only recruit people to fill R&D positions. We do not hire people to fill sales, accounting, general office, or other clerical or non-technical positions.
- Do you hire liberal arts graduates?
- We expect new hires to become involved in research and development in the areas of information science, communications engineering, and other related areas of basic technology, so most of our recruits do have a science or engineering background. Yet there are other areas that clearly call for a liberal arts approach. NTT Labs employs researchers with a humanities background, and we take full advantage of their skills in psychology, business administration, sociology, and other areas in pursuit of R&D projects at the company.
- I did not major in an ICT-related field. Is there a place for me at NTT?
- Yes, you will find many researchers at NTT who are tackling new fields and disciplines that are completely different from the topics they studied at university.
- Are international students (non-Japanese students) eligible to apply?
- Absolutely! NTT welcomes applicants from all over the world, so submit your application today!
- I am studying in another country. Can I still apply?
- Certainly. However, if you hope to join NTT laboratories as a new graduate hire, you will need to be able to work in Japan.
- Is there some qualification or certification that might help my chances of getting selected?
- There is no particular qualification that influences the selection process.
FAQs Regarding Work Procedures
- How is research carried out at NTT?
- Research and development varies depending on the nature or the phase of the work. Work may be done individually, in a small group of fewer than ten members, or in a larger group of 20-30 members to intensively address an issue. In many cases, several groups may be pursuing the same end goal, but the R&D work is divided up so the groups approach the task from different perspectives.
- Are there women researchers at NTT Laboratories?
- Yes, there is a considerable number of female researchers working at NTT Laboratories, and quite a number of female managers too. It is a part of NTT’s corporate culture, and we have policies in place that help employees balance career and family life. For example, NTT has received the "Kurumin" mark from the Ministry of Health, Labour and Welfare, indicating that it meets the standards of the Act on Advancement of Measures to Support Raising Next-Generation Children. We have made excellent progress in implementing a proactive personnel system that benefits both male and female employees as they pursue R&D.
- Are there opportunities for employees to experience working in areas other than R&D?
- The R&D conducted by NTT Laboratories covers a broad range of fields. It is possible to engage in work in a number of different phases of R&D, from basic research to development that is directly related to business projects, as well as projects to develop new initiatives. We also actively pursue the exchange of personnel with each of the business companies of the NTT Group, creating possibilities for employees to try work in areas other than research and development.
- Are there opportunities for career development abroad?
- Yes, there are numerous opportunities to work or develop your career abroad. These include temporary transfers to overseas subsidiaries, work at joint research centers such as overseas research institutions, training programs at overseas research institutions, and study abroad programs offering opportunities to acquire an MBA or pursue other postgraduate studies at a graduate school or business school overseas. Each year many employees also play active roles in international events and initiatives, including presenting at international conferences and taking part in standardization activities.
- What kind of systems do you have for supporting employees who are raising children or providing nursing care for family members?
- We have a number of systems to assist women in balancing work with raising children. These include measures to reduce commuting burden, maternity leave, childcare leave, reduced working hours, and limits on overtime work. There are also similar systems in place for male employees. For employees providing nursing care for elderly parents and employees who need to provide care for their partner or child in the case of illness or injury, there are systems such as reduced working hours, nursing care leave, and limits on overtime.
- Are there international employees (non-Japanese employees) at NTT Laboratories?
- There is a number of regular employees and postdoctoral researchers from other countries working in research and development at NTT Laboratories. Many prominent researchers from overseas also visit NTT Laboratories through our overseas research outreach and invitation system. We also take on many international students as interns through our internship program.