- NTT-Nippon Telegraph and Telephone Corporation-is a holding company responsible for the corporate strategy of the entire NTT Group (NTT East, NTT West, NTT Communications, NTT Data, NTT DOCOMO and so on). NTT Laboratories is closely affiliated with NTT. NTT Labs create the cutting edge technology and services that are the driving force behind the NTT Group, serve as a unifying force behind NTT Group as a whole, and create and develop new technologies capable of transforming Japan and the wider world.
- The mission of NTT Laboratories is to create new technologies and networks that serve as the driving force behind the NTT Group, technologies that cover everything from basic research to the development of applied technologies. NTT Laboratories' mission is to conduct wide-ranging research and development that provides the basic source of growth for NTT Group, and that covers everything from basic scientific research to modeling of services based on new technologies that effectively make the world a richer place.
- NTT Laboratories consists of 13 laboratories grouped into four laboratory groups. We believe that an R&D structure encouraging close collaboration among different laboratories to achieve common R&D objectives is the optimum organizational structure for creating and evolving new technologies.
- In addition to NTT Corporate Headquarters in Otemachi (Tokyo), NTT has researchers deployed at R&D Centers in Musashino (Tokyo), Yokosuka (Kanagawa), Atsugi (Kanagawa), Tsukuba (Ibaraki), the Keihanna area (Kyoto), Shinagawa(Tokyo),and Tamachi (Tokyo)
- Yes, we only recruit people to fill R&D positions. We do not hire people to fill sales, accounting, general office, or other clerical or non-technical positions.
- We expect new hires to become involved in research and development in areas of information, communications, and other related areas of basic technology, so most of our recruits do have a science background. Yet there are other areas that clearly call for a liberal arts approach. NTT Labs has humanities background employees on the payroll, and we take full advantage of their skills in psychology, business administration, sociology, and other areas in pursuit of R&D projects at the company.
- Yes, you will find many researchers at NTT who are tackling new fields and disciplines that are completely different to the topics which they researched at university.
- Absolutely! NTT welcomes applicants from all over the world, so submit your application today!
- Certainly. However, if you hope to join the company as a new graduate hire, you will need to be able to start work at NTT in April 2023.
- There is no particular qualification that influences the selection process.
- Research and development varies depending on the nature or the phase of the work. Work may be done by an individual, by a small group of less than ten, or an intensive problem-solving issue may be addressed by a larger group of 20-30 members. In many cases, several groups may be pursuing the same end goal, but the R&D work is divided up so the groups approach the task from different perspectives.
- NTT R&D is far more practical than typical academic research. In other words, research projects are carried out as services for the public, which eventually must generate profits or revenues for the organization.
- Yes, there is a considerable number of female researchers working at NTT Laboratories, and quite a number of female managers too. It's part of the corporate culture at NTT, and we have policies in place that help employees reconcile family life with career. For example, NTT is ?Kurumin?-certified in compliance with the Ministry of Health, Labour and Welfare's Law for Measures to Support the Development of the Next Generation, and has made excellent progress in implementing a proactive personnel system that benefits both male and female employees as they pursue R&D.
- The R&D conducted by NTT Laboratories covers a broad range of fields. It is possible to engage in work in a number of different phases of R&D, from basic research to development which is directly related to business projects, as well as projects to develop new initiatives.
We also actively pursue the exchange of personnel with each of the business companies of the NTT Group, creating possibilities for employees to try work in areas other than research and development.
- Yes, there are numerous opportunities to work or develop your career abroad. These include temporary transfers to overseas subsidiaries, work at joint research centers such as overseas research institutions, training programs at overseas research institutions, and study abroad programs offering opportunities to acquire an MBA or pursue other postgraduate studies at a graduate school or business school overseas.
Each year many employees also play active roles in international events and initiatives, including presenting at international conferences and taking part in standardization activities.
- We have a number of systems to assist women in balancing work with raising children. These include measures to alleviate difficulties which may arise in commuting to work, maternity leave, childcare leave, reduced working hours, and limits on overtime work.
There are also similar systems in place for male employees.
For employees nursing elderly parents and employees who need to provide care for their partner or child in the case of illness or injury, there are systems such as reduced working hours, nursing leave, and limits on overtime.
- There is a number of regular employees and postdoctoral scholars from other countries working in research and development at NTT Laboratories.
Many prominent researchers from overseas also visit NTT Laboratories through our overseas research outreach and invitation system.
We also take on many international students as interns through our internship program.